Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Filet Mignon with Green Peppercorn Cream Sauce

I had been driving from supermarket to supermarket looking for some green peppercorns. Just before giving up, I found my coveted bottle at The Fresh Market. Green peppercorns are a condiment that I find is rarely used to my dismay. They are simply under-ripe peppercorn berries, offering a fresh mild peppery flavor, less pungent than black pepper. They are soft in texture and can be eaten whole. They are great for sauces, vegetables, terrines, grilled cheese and egg salad sandwiches, sandwiches, compound butter and any other dish that you would like to add them to.
Photography by Robert Demetrius

I held the bottle tightly in my hand, just thrilled to bits, while walking around the store. Walking through the store is always such a delight as it inspires me. Reaching the meat department, I stopped to look at the meat selection, admiring the pieces of filet mignon before me. Filet mignon is a steak cut of beef taken from the tenderloin. It is the most tender cut of beef and also the most expensive. My husband and I don’t eat a lot of red meat, however, I could not pass on the opportunity and I had green peppercorns in my hand. Dinner was a no brainer at this point, a nice piece of filet mignon with green peppercorn cream sauce. How luscious!

You will need the following:

1½ pounds of filet mignon (2 pieces about 1½ to 2 inches thick)
a few turns of freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons of green peppercorns
½ cup beef broth
1 shallot, finely diced
½ cup cream
1 ounce vermouth
3 tablespoons butter
salt to taste
Generously Adding Freshly Ground Black Pepper to the Filets
 I had bought 2 beautiful pieces of filet mignon. Take the meat out of the fridge about 15 minutes before cooking. Generously season with freshly ground pepper. I never sprinkle my filet with salt; I always add freshly ground salt after I have cooked it. Heat a skillet on a medium high heat, more towards the high end. Once well heated, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, and then place the filets in the pan and let cook for 6 minutes on either side. They were medium rare when done.
Filets In the Pan, Caramelizing on the Outside and Juicy on the Inside
While the filets are being cooked, finely dice a shallot. Once the filets are done, take the filets out of the skillet and place on a warm plate or if you have a warmer on your stove, just turn it on and leave the filet underneath.
Adding Diced Shallots to the Pan
You will have some bits stuck to the bottom of the skillet, but not to worry, it will give the sauce flavor. Turn the heat down a bit to medium heat, add the shallots and sauté for 2 minutes before adding 1 ounce vermouth to deglaze the pan, then add ½ cup of beef broth and 2 tablespoons of green peppercorns and let simmer for 1 minute.
Deglazing the Pan with Vermouth
Then add ½ cup cream and 3 tablespoons cold butter. You may want to add some salt to taste; I didn’t need any salt as I had used salted butter. Once the butter starts melting, you will see the sauce thicken. It’s now ready.
The Green Peppercorn Cream Sauce, Shalots, Vermouth, Green Peppercorns, Cream. 
Place the filet on a plate and spoon the green peppercorn cream sauce over the filet mignon.
Ready to be Served. Enjoy!
This serves 2. Voilà. It is quick to make and really makes dinner a special occasion. Serve this with a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon or American Pinot Noir.

Wellington Artist  – (October 13, 2011 at 6:53 PM)  

Your dish looks and sounds delicious. Next time you make steak try generously sprinkling pepper AND salt on both sides. You will not only add tons of flavor but you will get an amazing crust when you sear the meat in the hot pan.

Natascha Kessler - Heaven on Hearth  – (October 13, 2011 at 8:18 PM)  

I have just gotten so used to not adding salt to my steak, but you are very right indeed! Thanks

Post a Comment

Protected by Copyscape Online Infringement Detector
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP